Thursday 22 May 2014

Thermopylae II. A Large Scale work in Progress.

Another departure from my usual painting output this evening, though subjectively more on track.

This is a Rosedale Figurines hoplite sculpted by Al Charles ( c. late 1970's I think) in 54mm foot to eye scale which I picked up on eBay a couple of years back for 99p. Always thought he would come in handy as a filler subject when suffering from a lack of current project to complete syndrome; it turns out that time is now.



Given the title of the figure is Thermopylae II, a lambda on the hoplon would perhaps be more appropriate; but at such large scale it seemed a shame not to pimp things a little!

Still a way to go with project, painting larger figures is a challenge I haven't tried before & there are a lot of lessons to be learned.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! The figure looks great and personally I think you did a marvelous painting job. I for one do not use washes over my figures but are you considering of using a wash or Army Painter soft or hard tone shade for this figure?

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, HGA! A change is as good as a rest. I don't think a Lambda should by any means be compulsory...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice and nasty looking indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments all. I'm making things up as I go along technique wise, having had limited experience in painting larger miniatures. Scaling up from 28mm doesn't seem to cut the mustard, though painting shield designs is a lot easier!
    Best HGA.
    Cheers HGA

    ReplyDelete