Sunday 17 October 2010

Lamentations of the Flame Princess

A copy of this retro D&D clone fell into my clutches earlier in the week and I must say that I am impressed. The format is 7 A5 booklets in a decent cardboard box and the rules are sufficiently different from the original upon which it is heavily based to have awoken my interest. Having recently purchased a copy of Shadow, Sword & Spell as a PDF which employs some interesting ideas I am currently concocting a way to get my regular Call of Cthulhu victims to have a go at fantasy roleplaying again. We did try late last year with a session of 2nd Edition runequest but despite the familiarity of the percentile based system they didn't take to it.
So I'm currently going down the route of using a medieaval european port style setting with some inter guild espionage thrown in for some relief from the straight dungeoneering they might expect. I have somewhere the old ICE Thieves of Tharbad module with its ready made port setting so that could be a good starting point. At least it makes use of some of the MERP stuff that I have collected over the years; that was another blind alley as far as fantasy roleplaying was concerned. A fascinating setting but really difficult to games master successfully and a bit overwhelming for the players as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment